New to goats

new2goats907

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to goats and the forum.I have been reading alot about goats and was planning on getting two in august but a friend offered to give me two Nigerian dwarfs so I took her up on it and im getting them next sunday I am very excited :D .I am sure I will have tons of questions over the next couple weeks wich is why I joined.

new2goats907

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes :) is two years old to late to start training?

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BHY!

No, that's not too old to train. Goats can learn pretty quickly with very consistent work. And then again, some goats refuse to learn much of anything.

What kind of training are you talking about?

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
new2goats907 said:
Hi everyone im new to goats and the forum.I have been reading alot about goats and was planning on getting two in august but a friend offered to give me two Nigerian dwarfs so I took her up on it and im getting them next sunday I am very excited :D .I am sure I will have tons of questions over the next couple weeks wich is why I joined.
Welcome to the forum... and welcome to your new goat addiction LOL

I was a newbie 2 years ago... this forum is invaluable.

The only down side is you will have to invest in a good camera... we demand photos :D!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome

Have to warn you, goats are like potato chips... once you have one or two you want more, and more, and then even more! :gig

I started with one, and am already up to six. :lol:

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome!:frow This is a great place. And I agree about the addiction. I wanted goats for weed eating, did research and decided on Boers, cause I could sell the babies as market wethers.:thumbsup So I only wanted 3 does. Well, I now have 17 does, 15 babies and 2 bucks! Sold 2 market wethers, and 3 the kids will be taking to fair. But mostly had doelings so MORE GOATS GET TO STAY! YAY! :weee

new2goats907

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks alot :p I was hoping it wasnt going to be like chickens lol I started with 1 and ended up with 25. Do most of you buy your hay in bulk or by the bale?

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have to buy by the ton, and in the summer when the hay is getting cut we try and get as much stocked up as possible. We also hav 6 horses so we go through a ton a week right now. We just put a lot of the goats out to pasture and that is really going to help on the feed bill, they like it better there anyway!