Southern's 2015 Kidding -Mini's off to new home

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations!

2 years ago we had four or five does with thick, goopy colostrum. It was like sap. I bottle fed the babies and milked those girls. I could only get a very little bit out at a time. So I would wait a few hours and then try again. After about 3 or 4 times it finally cleared into normal colostrum and everyone was fine. It was the first does to kid that year, everyone else after that was fine.

I had one this year, not quit so thick, more like honey than sap. That one cleared after a few strokes on the teat.

A farmer about 15 miles away from me had it last year, his first 20 some does to kid all had that issue.
I talked to Dr. Sparks, Dr. Pinkerton, Dr. Browning and Dr. Andries about it. Never did get any consensus about what caused it other than "probably diet".

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

2 years ago we had four or five does with thick, goopy colostrum. It was like sap. I bottle fed the babies and milked those girls. I could only get a very little bit out at a time. So I would wait a few hours and then try again. After about 3 or 4 times it finally cleared into normal colostrum and everyone was fine. It was the first does to kid that year, everyone else after that was fine.

I had one this year, not quit so thick, more like honey than sap. That one cleared after a few strokes on the teat.

A farmer about 15 miles away from me had it last year, his first 20 some does to kid all had that issue.
I talked to Dr. Sparks, Dr. Pinkerton, Dr. Browning and Dr. Andries about it. Never did get any consensus about what caused it other than "probably diet".
From what I understand is that it is very rich... never have I seen this before.:hu I did take pics and will post in case someone else is blindsided with this like we were. It was a little scary truthfully. We diluted it with another does milk and had to use a spatula to scrape it out of the pail. Next mornings milk was normal. Glad we were pulling as I don't think any of the kids would have been able to suck it out and as cold as it was their bellies would not have been full or warm.

Interesting about the diet. This yearwe don't have our normal local hay so lots of alfalfa/orchard. I have not raised my goats to be alfalfa junkies, I don't think mine really need it. We have never seen a real difference in milk production like most people say.
Maybe mine just like my neighbors hay , it is good hay just not supreme hoity toity hay. :p

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Simply impossible to get pics! Got a few but they are terrible! They are all over us! We were only going to bottle feed 2 and leave the 3rd on but that didn't happen so all 3 are bottle babies. :)

The doeling was able to be transitioned today from bottle to a bowl.
:weee
The bucks are not as bright! :D Maybe a few more days! Then just bowl feeding and NO MORE BOTTLES!:celebrate

They will go out to the stall in a day or two... right now they are be-bopping all over. They sleep through the night ... wish my puppies did. ;)

So happy to have Katie in milk! I LOVE :love :love :love her milk!
I kinda like to keep all Katie's milk to myself. Best milk on the farm!
She is just shy of 2 quarts hoping to get 2-21/2day. We will see. That is why I wanted to keep one on her to keep that production going up. Oh well.

Interesting though. We have never pulled her kids before and this was Katie's 3rd F.. she handled it pretty good. The one thing that has been very different is she is a perfect angel on the stand. We noticed this with another goat, but it was the first time we had pulled a kid, it was at the request of the customer waiting on the litter. That doe also perfect angel on the stand. Wish I could say that about my dams raising their kids.. it's like they don't want to give you the milk.
SAM_4651.JPG