Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good Monday Morning! Coffee is ready. I think we've settled into the Aug/Sept 'Hazy, Hot & Humid' weather.. All the weather folks can go on vaca - it's going to be the same forecast for the next several weeks.
Time to either go back to brewing a pot in the PM & leaving it in the fridge for COLD coffee in the AM, or freezing some into coffee ice cubes so I can cool it without diluting it! Can't manage without it... but don't need any help sweating in the AM.

LOL! .... oops... this isn't the Coffee thread... :hide

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish our summer temperatures would be what it has been for the last several days. I was out doing all of the physical stuff and never broke a sweat. Our driveway is about 1400' long with about 500' of it being tree lined which has a tendency to try to take over the space above the drive that makes the FEDEX truck driver pucker when coming in. I spent a couple hours with my long handle branch trimmer and a big trimmer but got all of the problem growth trimmed away.

We lost one of my favorite ewes to Bottle Jaw. Penny was wormed a month ago but even then she didn't show a large parasite load but was wormed based on appearance. She is one of those that will come into the shop when I'm feeding the dogs to get a cracker or two. A couple of weeks ago, she showed a slight sign of having Bottle Jaw so we wormed her again and gave her a bunch of vitamins and went on a schedule of worming her every 3 days. What was sad is that she went from showing a slight sign of Bottle Jaw to a full blown event in a couple of days. She quickly became so lethargic that I knew I should put her down but didn't want to give up. It was about 7 days later that I was feeding the dogs and Penny's lambs came in the door of the shop but Penny wasn't with them. The lambs haven't been handled at all but one of them came up and sniffed my hand and fortunately I had hoped that she would try the cracker that I had there, and she did. I wasn't planning on keeping any of these "OOPS" lambs but these two ewe lambs have a home rather than the sale.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish our summer temperatures would be what it has been for the last several days. I was out doing all of the physical stuff and never broke a sweat. Our driveway is about 1400' long with about 500' of it being tree lined which has a tendency to try to take over the space above the drive that makes the FEDEX truck driver pucker when coming in. I spent a couple hours with my long handle branch trimmer and a big trimmer but got all of the problem growth trimmed away.

We lost one of my favorite ewes to Bottle Jaw. Penny was wormed a month ago but even then she didn't show a large parasite load but was wormed based on appearance. She is one of those that will come into the shop when I'm feeding the dogs to get a cracker or two. A couple of weeks ago, she showed a slight sign of having Bottle Jaw so we wormed her again and gave her a bunch of vitamins and went on a schedule of worming her every 3 days. What was sad is that she went from showing a slight sign of Bottle Jaw to a full blown event in a couple of days. She quickly became so lethargic that I knew I should put her down but didn't want to give up. It was about 7 days later that I was feeding the dogs and Penny's lambs came in the door of the shop but Penny wasn't with them. The lambs haven't been handled at all but one of them came up and sniffed my hand and fortunately I had hoped that she would try the cracker that I had there, and she did. I wasn't planning on keeping any of these "OOPS" lambs but these two ewe lambs have a home rather than the sale.
So sorry you lost her. Seems like she taught her lambs to follow in her footsteps.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa is having a hard time getting to California. She was scheduled to leave yesterday but a med she was on was causing her BP to be high so she delayed and got in to see the doctor to get them changed. We got her to the Nashville airport this afternoon and they got out on time but the aircraft she was on for the second leg developed an oil leak on an engine and they fiddled with that for a couple hours then decided to unload the passengers and luggage and switch aircraft. At least she should get there a few days before the hurricane.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa is having a hard time getting to California. She was scheduled to leave yesterday but a med she was on was causing her BP to be high so she delayed and got in to see the doctor to get them changed. We got her to the Nashville airport this afternoon and they got out on time but the aircraft she was on for the second leg developed an oil leak on an engine and they fiddled with that for a couple hours then decided to unload the passengers and luggage and switch aircraft. At least she should get there a few days before the hurricane.
Is she heading to LA or San Diego?
Just got a text from my brother in CO who told me about the hurricane- Geeze the whole country knows about it - except for us here in So Cal! 🤣
Guess I’ll batten down the barn some and make sure the tarp is on the hay.