The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, my chickens pretty much stop laying in extreme heat. And it's getting close to molt time, when they do stop. Chickens do better in cold than heat. Ducks ? With their temp preference.
These laid till it dropped past -20°F last winter. Guess I need a different breed for summer here. One breed drops in winter, other in summer.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't mind me, it's a Sunday, raining outside and I'm bored.
This design should solve a lot of space wasting issues. From the peak to the corner on each side if one were to draw a triangle would put this design at 60° strength in the Y+ axis plus the roundness will add strength in the X axis and the thickness of the roofing materials will cover the Z axis while able to hold any snow/wind loads.
Based on using the most from materials such as a stick of square tubing I use comes standard in 24' lengths with this design it minimizes waste even amongst the metal roofing. With waste someone has to eat it so I design to prevent it.
View attachment 110756
Depth is going to be the thing; for sunlight to get in, in winter, south facing...12 ft would be maximum depth(length)....... still does not taper from front to back to capture max sun... maybe not a big deal there either....depends which way it is facing according to the prevailing directions of the storms too... most of ours come out of the south/southwest so things have to face more to the east or the north east....

The more "upright" design is much better suited to cattle/calves...
and a person can stand in it for the most part... well, my son couldn't..... most cattle are less than 6 feet high at the shoulder... horses you have to go more by head height... they do not keep their heads nearly as low as cattle... most horse trailers are 6'6" and 7' inside height... @Mini Horses trailer is shorter I am sure... our cattle trailers are tall enough for DS to walk in....
Just some more thoughts...

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depth is going to be the thing; for sunlight to get in, in winter, south facing...12 ft would be maximum depth(length)....... still does not taper from front to back to capture max sun... maybe not a big deal there either....depends which way it is facing according to the prevailing directions of the storms too... most of ours come out of the south/southwest so things have to face more to the east or the north east....

The more "upright" design is much better suited to cattle/calves...
and a person can stand in it for the most part... well, my son couldn't..... most cattle are less than 6 feet high at the shoulder... horses you have to go more by head height... they do not keep their heads nearly as low as cattle... most horse trailers are 6'6" and 7' inside height... @Mini Horses trailer is shorter I am sure... our cattle trailers are tall enough for DS to walk in....
Just some more thoughts...
Yeah these are all built 12' or less in depth based on material size and the fact in the winter sun at 20° in the dead of winter will easily reach the back. A 6' tall structure can let sunlight can hit up to 17' to the back with this sunlight here.
Our house I am designing is based on passive solar heating amongst other self sustaining measures. I won't build horse trailers or any trailer for that matter based on liability, having to go through DOT on their schedule for inspection to title them and large companies can produce them cheaper than I can get materials for them. Bureaucracy is what is killing this country

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s not how you play the game, it’s if you win or lose.
IMG_0739.jpeg
IMG_0740.jpeg

It was a fight and I won

IMG_0741.jpeg

Got it torqued down to 290 ft lbs, that torque wrench can do up to 600 ft lbs.
IMG_0743.jpeg

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully nothing else breaks!
If nothing breaks then this thread would go stale :lol:
Different news, the city can kiss my tanned arse now the excavator is going. I'm going to track it home today from the quarry and dig out my service pit in the pole barn that should of been done 2 years ago. Then I will fill in last load of rock for the leach field to bury it when the track loader gets back home.
As for the whole court case, still waiting on over a week later for sheriff to serve her then the clock starts of T-21 days she has to respond to the allegations. They weren't too happy on me calling at the sheriff dept. telling me she will let me know when she has been served that the deputies have been busy with high number or accidents in the area. Yep really not much of law enforcement out here, so the petty schit is allowed to fly which then boils over cause it wasn't stopped before it started.
Oh and I want to cut a door out upstairs so we can use the balcony I built a few months back before we lose summer.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a crazy lady event at the county fair. I wasn't there for the first scene, but the sheriff trespassed her from the Fair from the Canning Dept. Then Monday, she came back and started up again. She reeked of some sort of alcohol at 12:30 in the afternoon!! Lets just say chest to chest and 3" between mouths is how it went down between the Super of the Canning show and this crazy lady. Luckily she left before security could get there. She's now banned from ever appearing at the Fair. I learned an important thing - I can sorta run!! I was running for a cell phone to call security incase blows came to be!!