The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
What beauty you have around you. Amazing
:gig
Comes with a price, lack of rainfall/water for animals/crops and lovely temperatures to endure from -60°F wind chills to 115°F heat waves. When May rolls around you are preparing for September/October snow storms, hurry up and grow what you can, fix what you can, stock up and get ready to go again. Oh I forgot the high winds that roll around in October/May, random storms to sling 3" hail, and wildfire season. Yeah some spots the ground has coal seams that randomly burst into wildfires when it gets warm enough. There is a reason there is more cows and the people here.
For a person like me I love this and sounds like the perfect place for solitude.

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Comes with a price, lack of rainfall/water for animals/crops and lovely temperatures to endure from -60°F wind chills to 115°F heat waves. When May rolls around you are preparing for September/October snow storms, hurry up and grow what you can, fix what you can, stock up and get ready to go again. Oh I forgot the high winds that roll around in October/May, random storms to sling 3" hail, and wildfire season. Yeah some spots the ground has coal seams that randomly burst into wildfires when it gets warm enough. There is a reason there is more cows and the people here.
For a person like me I love this and sounds like the perfect place for solitude.
I could romanticize that in my brain Nice fire crackling with Chillie and corn bread in the winter and in the summer lemonade with ginger on a swing under a tree overlooking the heard. However, to be honest that sounds like a solitude only the strongest most capable can truly enjoy. It sure is nice to look at 🤗 How is your soil? and your growing season?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, coal seams that burst into fire! Never knew that.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could romanticize that in my brain Nice fire crackling with Chillie and corn bread in the winter and in the summer lemonade with ginger on a swing under a tree overlooking the heard. However, to be honest that sounds like a solitude only the strongest most capable can truly enjoy. It sure is nice to look at 🤗 How is your soil? and your growing season?
Firewood sucks too :lol: best we got is ponderosa pine and cottonwood, don't bother trying to smoke any meat/food. Depends on where you are at in the soil formation on what you get, the closer to the rivers the better and the more expensive the land is. Generally it's clay/sand and not much is grown, needs a lot of work. Growing season is if it didn't go in the ground in May it's not happening in time, last frost May/June, first frost September. I'm in the light tan area and the wife has been working the soil over the years I have been contributing with cow patties and whatever from our ducks, geese, guinea fowl. One thing that grows here that grows in Texas I love, okra. We got onions, potatoes romaine, kale, spinach, zucchini, peas when aphids aren't around and of course okra.
Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 21-09-32 Surface-Water Monitoring GIS Data Hub Site.png

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Firewood sucks too :lol: best we got is ponderosa pine and cottonwood, don't bother trying to smoke any meat/food. Depends on where you are at in the soil formation on what you get, the closer to the rivers the better and the more expensive the land is. Generally it's clay/sand and not much is grown, needs a lot of work. Growing season is if it didn't go in the ground in May it's not happening in time, last frost May/June, first frost September. I'm in the light tan area and the wife has been working the soil over the years I have been contributing with cow patties and whatever from our ducks, geese, guinea fowl. One thing that grows here that grows in Texas I love, okra. We got onions, potatoes romaine, kale, spinach, zucchini, peas when aphids aren't around and of course okra.
View attachment 111101
I have 4 large okra plants that I am harvesting 2x a day there is enough off the 4 plants for me and the pigs to enjoy. I have not tried it cooked yet, just eat it off the plant for breakfast. it is a great travel food if I am running late for work. You must be very organized to grow so much in 60-90 days.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 4 large okra plants that I am harvesting 2x a day there is enough off the 4 plants for me and the pigs to enjoy. I have not tried it cooked yet, just eat it off the plant for breakfast. it is a great travel food if I am running late for work. You must be very organized to grow so much in 60-90 days.
Fried okra with some creole seasoning on it, yep it's something to look forward to. She has spreadsheet on when and what she plants. I believe it's best we get a wallipini built for year around and another thing is I will build a house with a greenhouse in the front that utilizes grey water to grow.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Green house with Grey water is brilliant.
Me being me with my history of builds it will be a one of a kind, not square, self sufficient and engineering masterpiece as usual. If one were to know about and study "Earthships®" and get rid of the tires they use in them, they could take the concept and go far which is where the utilization of grey water comes from.
1724853210599.png

1724853277470.png

IMG_0930.png

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me being me with my history of builds it will be a one of a kind, not square, self sufficient and engineering masterpiece as usual. If one were to know about and study "Earthships®" and get rid of the tires they use in them, they could take the concept and go far which is where the utilization of grey water comes from.
View attachment 111103
View attachment 111104
View attachment 111105
I think they do that in Norway and Sweeden. Some pretty amazing houses pretty much built INSIDE a greenhouse.