Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m going to the feed store this morning. I last went on 7-27, only 20 days ago. I buy 20 bags, 1,000 pounds at a time. With my limited grass, due to not enough fencing, 20 bags lasts 6 weeks. No grass, on dry lot, they are going through 20 bags in 3 weeks, plus a 4x5 round bale a week. Desperately need rain. Will be 107F today.

Cattlemen are hard hit, selling down their herds or just selling out. The sale barn in Nacogdoches is now starting 1 1/2 hours earlier to handle the volume coming through.

It is costing me to keep my sheep fed, but I’m not reducing numbers. I’m staying in the fight, praying for the fall rains. The rains will probably come in a deluge, then I’ll be fighting the mud. Haven’t even started the barn, money is going to keeping sheep fed. It’s too hot to get outside to do much of anything, I’m just not motivated to grab myself a heat stroke. Hanging in there, doing the best I can.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
No grass, on dry lot, they are going through 20 bags in 3 weeks, plus a 4x5 round bale a week.

It is costing me to keep my sheep fed, but I’m not reducing numbers. I’m staying in the fight, praying for the fall rains.
Welcome to my world. If we get rain and lots of forage, maybe we will keep the sheep in California! Save our TX grass. LOL Not growing anymore apparently since no rain in Yantis since we left. :( And high temperatures. Out of the frying pan into the fire?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went to feed store. Forgot a leash for
Carson. He ran in the store behind the counter, wagging his tail, got lots of attention and a dog biscuit. He ran back to me, dropped his dog biscuit and peed on an end cap display. BAD DOG! When scolded, his face is so comical, that he had the employees laughing.

Got back, Bennett and Peggy brought me 5 halves of blue plastic barrels for watering the sheep. Bennett helped unload the feed and poured it in the metal trash cans. Then we went to their cow lot and they gave me 2 feed bunks with the metal bottoms rusted off. Also gave me a feed bunk with 2 liners, each liner busted at opposite ends so they put 2 together to make one. I’m delighted! I put a blue half in the ewe crew pen, filled it and their buckets. We lifted the double liner feed bunk over the fence into Cooper’s pen and he got a blue half too.

IMG_4836.jpeg

I still have 3 halves and I’ll get Christi weld some runners on the other two feed bunks.

IMG_4835.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love my feed bunks. Once I shifted over to those instead of the bins on the ground my wasted hay problem when away. Keeps everything nice and clean. Of course there's always one that believes front feed should be IN the bunk. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love my feed bunks. Once I shifted over to those instead of the bins on the ground my wasted hay problem when away. Keeps everything nice and clean. Of course there's always one that believes front feed should be IN the bunk. :lol:
Front feet? How about just jump in?

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It pains me to write this but I must. 72 and sunny today. It is perfect out. Hay is tall and thick grass won't stop growing in the yard and have to mow pasture to keep them down. And actually yes we are gonna be moving and heading to another place. So if anyone knows of someone looking for a home in North central Ohio let me know