Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another lamb dead this morning. That makes 6. I’m leaving ewes and lambs in the pen that connects to the working chute. I won’t have the girls to help run them through. They are going home today. 2 more days of Panacur. Then one day of Toltrazuril for coccicidia.

They are going to hate me for cooping them up, but too bad. The girls helping me has been a HUGE help. Katahdin lambs scatter like quail. Trying to herd them all across the driveway and get gate shut before the first one turn around to run back, it makes me hate sheep. LOL So frustrating. So they can just eat hay the next few days. Yes, I’m a mean sheep mommy.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best thing for worming the sheep will be to keep them off the grass and on straight hay. It provides the bulk to help push the worms and eggs and larvae through them... they cannot reinfect near as easy with no access to the young worms on the grass stems. Dry lotting is the safest way to keep them from reinfecting even though they are passing the worms/eggs on the dry lot. I know there is the cost, but keeping them in off the grass until it dries up some will probably be the safest thing you can do at this point. Sadly, there is nothing that you could even spray the pastures with to kill them on the grass to get the numbers down.

Sorry about losing another lamb.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found the property you and your sis (and even your son) can share! Can you imagine the lush grounds, the pond, the space inside for sheep containment for deworming, the other cavernous areas for supplies and hay? Its nearby to family on all sides, and the exercise area (lots of stairs) would be perfect for humans and dogs alike!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found the property you and your sis (and even your son) can share! Can you imagine the lush grounds, the pond, the space inside for sheep containment for deworming, the other cavernous areas for supplies and hay? Its nearby to family on all sides, and the exercise area (lots of stairs) would be perfect for humans and dogs alike!

I ~was going to say all of us BYHs could go in together - it's so big we'd still need the boards to communicate with each other -- and then ---- I saw it's on only a little over ... two acres. :lol:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 to what farmer Jan said. Dry lot, nice high protein hay to help replace the protein lost to worms in all, and I'd add medicated creep free choice if possible for the lambs if you aren't already. This is herd emergency mode. Im not sure how the "dry" in dry lot is going to work for you though. Texas is not cooperating!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

With 26,401 square feet in the house, the sheep could live in the lap of luxury!