Coffee anyone ?

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! Just in from being out and it’s sweaty o’ clock. Scrubbed a bunk, DEed the henhouse and barn for fleas etc. watered the broody and chicks, misc chickens fed. Watered assorted plants and bushes. Has anyone tested water on their land? I have a spring I’d like to test as I can’t tell if my neighbor’s septic is making unpleasant bacterial contributions. Dog approved however. Ditto with my small pond. House builders put the septic system about 300 feet up hill of said pond with a gully separating, lots of big trees and sandy soil. Hopefully all those things will filter whatever wanders down hill from the septic. I’d like to be certain of my water quality though, in case of a sharknado or presidential election. Get my own kit? County?

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Good Morning ALL! Mine and Hubby's wedding vid is on YouTube now. I hope Y'all enjoy it. I cry every time I watch it.
We had another busy weekend beginning with Sat seeing how Hubby had to work for a little bit then yesterday we went to Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, VA for our nephew 4th birthday. There isn't a beach there but they have an Aquatic recreation center (3 pools of different depths, an activity center water pad) but they do have picnic tables and grills. The only bad part was have to pay to get into the park then have to pay to go into the pool area. Nephew sees us all the time but he didn't want anything to do with me, he just wanted his Uncle.
Hopefully this upcoming weekend (more or less on Sat) we are going to be putting our above ground pool up YAY!!!!! then on July 6th it's the 100 MILE yard sale but hopefully in the next day or so I'm going to be getting wedding stuff sorted and what we don't want will be going in a yard sale.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mother Hen that's a lovely video. 🥰 Congrats!

We had a light sprinkling overnight. Not much, I've had heavier dew 😂 but we needed it -- and more. They're predicting some mid day. Hope we get it here on the farm. It's raining north of me now. We're 2.5" down for the month, in the area. The farm hasn't gotten 1/2" in June 😔 Way over norm in May . Glad I got tomatoes watered well yesterday 👍 waiting to see what happens before I do more. Soakers hoses in place on some veggies, other areas sprinklers or buckets 🤣. Still need to re-till, plant, mulch a good sized portion! 😱

:caf mode right now. Thinking about what things to shuffle around -- in case we get blessed with sky water! 😂👍 Aaaannnd -- breakfast. I'm hungry. Bagel ¿🤔

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree, it was a very nice video of the wedding. Congrats and hope for many happy years for you both.

Rain gauge is dry. The line broke up coming across from WV as it often does... It had looked very promising. Maybe some got it north of here...
Looks like a reforming over the coast and @Mini Horses might get a good soaking, as she said, mid-day. NOTHING in the forecast for us.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whew! Just in from being out and it’s sweaty o’ clock. Scrubbed a bunk, DEed the henhouse and barn for fleas etc. watered the broody and chicks, misc chickens fed. Watered assorted plants and bushes. Has anyone tested water on their land? I have a spring I’d like to test as I can’t tell if my neighbor’s septic is making unpleasant bacterial contributions. Dog approved however. Ditto with my small pond. House builders put the septic system about 300 feet up hill of said pond with a gully separating, lots of big trees and sandy soil. Hopefully all those things will filter whatever wanders down hill from the septic. I’d like to be certain of my water quality though, in case of a sharknado or presidential election. Get my own kit? County?
1. My grandfather (12jillion years ago = AKA when I was a kid) got the state to do a free very detailed water test on his well. Some kind of government program. In case something like that is going on... I would call your local extension office and ask what is available.

2. Up here, regulations are 100 feet from well head to septic. But, the kind of soil makes a huge difference, so I wouldn't think that is a universal distance.

3. Up here we had to get our water tested. We had to pay for each individual item (copper, lead, arsenic) we wanted to test for. But I do think "bacteria contaminants" counted as one thing. It was expensive... but important to us, so we shelled out. For that I just searched for "water testing", closest place was Anchorage, and we shipped them samples.

4. Oh, also, a local well driller might have kits for water testing of basic stuff.