Good Morning!--Chat thread

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:gig The culls are not possible but diffinate. It's just a matter of sending them down the road when we need to make room. One has lost all udder support and the other won't breed back. Then there's that darn heifer. I would like to convince DH to let her go. She was out with the last bull we had and has been AIed a few times and was just in heat again. Everything seems fine on a vet check but she's not settling and taking up room in the barn. Anyone need meat in the freezer? She is getting quite fat now-which won't help breeding her. :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ok i gotta ask.an i doubt youll answer.but how much are the culls giving a day.esp the fat non breeder heifer.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How much milk are they giving? The heifer none. The two cows, not much. One is going to be real hard to let go and that has meant we've already kept them longer than we should.

Price?
Good High Yielding Fleshy Cows 45-54
Average to High Yielding Cutter Cows 32-44
Thin Plain Canners and Poor Quality Cows Below 30

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Good morning

I'm up!
I guess that's a start?
The boys weren't to happy with the mess I made in the driveway! I told them they were welcome to pick up all the rocks that I didn't feel like picking up!

Yea Kitty!
Another heifer?

Have you ever tried breeding your non breeders to Brahma? At the diary I milked at, they would do that and for some reason the cow would take? It worked out well for me too!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty we allo keep cows in the barn longer than we should.an in the end it cost more than the cows are worth.i was the hard culler around here.an they wouldnt listen to me :gig

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Have you ever tried breeding your non breeders to Brahma? At the diary I milked at, they would do that and for some reason the cow would take? It worked out well for me too!
No, we've used jersey and the milking shorthorn. They usually settle to one of those.

Most of the time they go out pretty good time but, when it's a favorite it's harder and we tend to drag.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kitty: Have you tried CIDR's on the hard to breed ones? Some are using CIDR's to bring them into heat, breeding them, and putting the CIDR back into the cow 3 days after breeding. This helps those that are not producing enough progesterone to support the pregnancy.

Also, have you had them palpated to find out if they have polycystic ovaries? If they do, you could take care of that with several hormonal treatments. If small cysts, you could pop them manually. Don't breed on the heat that follows immediately after the manual popping. It's a nonfertile heat, but the next one is OK.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have them palpated if we are having trouble catching them in heat or settling.

We've talked about the CIDR's but, so far DH hasn't wanted to do them. We have used "The Program" of GNRH and Lutalyse but, that just doesn't work here.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
So, I go into the barn to check the heifer that is hanging out in all directions, no calf!
Later, I go back into the barn to check her, and my Mouse cow is standing there, nursing her new heifer!
The heifer that is hanging out in all directions, is just eating!

Mouse is one of my simmental crosses! I'll post a picture if my computer an photobucket are still talking!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Morning,

It's a balmy 22F here this morning!

I had Kute Kitten help me lay the layers of her quilt out last night. Now it's all pinned and I'm tieing it together. Then I can finish off the edges and it will be done.