ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Congratulations Skeeter! Glad to here she's back with the flock.

And I could just imagine Fluffer with her babies. Yes, it would be sweet to see all those little peeps sticking their heads out from under Mom.

Oh no, turkey must know November is coming. JAIL BREAK!

Speaking of Turkey, we have a neighborhood one. Actual wild turkey has moved into the neighborhood a couple months ago. Found it roosting in our bushes the other day. Sitting, watching TV and here a bang on the side of the house. Me and Jake go out with a flashlight because it was dark out, and out pops Mr. Tom, or Miss Tom, can't tell with wild turkeys, out of the bush. Jake chased it out of the yard, but we saw it again the next morning. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
At the office building that I used to work, we had a tom turkey take up residence. My assistant named him Gus...she was in love with the turkey :lol: He terrorized delivery drivers...UPS, FedEx, USPS and any other delivery trucks that arrived were greeted by gus, their tires pecked and their drivers chased. It was hilarious. It got to the point that our normal delivery drivers knew just how to avoid Gus and they played the chase like a gamer pro.

One day a furniture delivery van showed up to bring a desk for another office and Gus kept the 2 guys trapped in the back of the van for a good 15 minutes! They were scared of this crazy turkey :lol: So funny to see this guy's head keep peeking around the truck looking for the turkey :lol:

Then one day, some idiot driving too fast through the parking lot hit and killed Gus. :( The whole building mourned his loss, but I think my assistant took it the worst...poor girl, I sent her home early that day.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Skeeter is FREE RANGING!!!!! No limping - no staggering!!! :weee

She's only getting flustered when one of the other girls picks on her, but there's only a couple who do. The rest of the chickens love Skeeter!

We cleaned out Fluffer's pen today and let her and the chicklets free range for a short bit while we did. Fluffer got all excited and kind of forgot about her chicklets :rolleyes:

Weather today is FANTASTIC!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Went out picking wild rose hips. Dang, those bushes know how to bite! Got a good amount though. Stuck them into the freezer to sweeten up....if I would have waited until after a frost I'd have lost them to the birds. I plan to make rose jelly :)

While I was out in the field, I noticed that Skeeter was hanging out with the guineas. She was in the middle of them pecking away. One of the other chickens came up and gave Skeeter a big peck which made her squawk...2 of the guineas turned on the chicken and chased her down and grabbed her and gave her a fling. I guess Skeeter has some champions. :/

T-Bone (calf) spent the evening in the pond. Man that calf is starting to fill out :drool

redtailgal

Reaction score
When do you plan to slaughter him? Are you going to do it yourself or send him off?

We will be doing the goats at home, but they are small enough to not be to hard. Cattle are more tricky but doable. (we use the forklift, lol)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
We'll send him off. He's pure grass fed so it'll be early Spring 2013.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Yea Skeeter! Looks like she got a few friends with guineas who got her back! Always good to have. :)

T-Bone? Love the name. Like Redtailgal's Freezerburn. Now I see why though. After being on here for some time, I understand that you need to separate yourself from those you know are destined for "freezer camp". And these names kind of keep that in your mind as you care and watch them prosper and grow. :)

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of the cows that i helped halter train was named Sir-Loin... I named him :p