Ah yes my day
Snapshot_202407187_130782.jpeg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a productive day!
And a destructive day! I finally got to open up my Christmas present :weee
IMG_0352.jpeg

On different note I think I got Pooch pretty well trained on listening. He picked up on wanting to chase wild rabbits. Mid chase I was able to break his attention to stop him and to come to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a question for you. I bought chicken barn trusses that appear to make a 36ā€™ span when put together. I was told at a metal yard that 11 gauge 4ā€x4ā€ square tubing would be stout enough to hold the trusses and roof.

Iā€™m going to deck the roof with half inch plywood, then roll out radiant heat barrier and put metal roof on that.

Should I use metal purlins across the trusses or 2x4ā€™s ?

And will the 11 gauge really hold that weight or do I need to go to 1/4ā€?

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Multiple factors at play here uplift ā€œtornadoesā€ live load ā€œhurricanesā€. Fasteners will only have 11 gauge ā€œ1/8ā€ of an inch to quarter of an inch to grip while getting yanked on for up to 24 hrs straight ā€œhurricanesā€
How would you fasten square tubing to trusses, welp better break out some drill bits to drill a hole to get the fastener into and another hole to get fastener through to the wood (two different drill bits). Wood screws canā€™t drill through metal unless really thin, and metal screws can self tap into metal, but wonā€™t grip the wood.
Donā€™t know what the span is, but if you are worried on that, you got options, 12, 16, 19.2 and 24 O.C.Yes 19.2 is that black diamond on your tape measure that comes in even on 8 feet if you are feeling religious and want to build like the Noahā€™s Ark.

Skip the plywood and use 7/16ā€ OSB its strength isnā€™t in just one direction like plywood, itā€™s multiple. Also skip the radiant barrier too if you have the option some OSB come with it already on there. Lastly, please use the clips between the sheets
IMG_0363.jpeg

Latest posts